Friday, November 1, 2013

Here we go...


Here we go!
Paradise, absolute paradise! This is how I usually have to explain my awesome little mountain town. With almost 300 days of sunshine, four somewhat distinct seasons, mountain views and a humidity destroying high desert climate, I tell you again... paradise! It also doesn't hurt to have a 12,000 ft mountain out my front door, 4500 ft elevation slick-rock less than an hour South and Grand Canyon just over an hour North.
Whatever your outdoor pleasure, be it hiking through the forest, gliding down the slopes, hopping rocks on an MTB or testing your fortitude against craggy basaltic cliffs, this area never quits; oh, but don't come here cause as I always say, "everybody wants to be the last immigrant to paradise."



So in my adventures here on top of the Colorado Plateau I have come to do quite the flip flop. I used to call runners idiots. Who would want to run for fun? Sure, I used to do quite a bit of running for soccer. Sprints, hills, long distance, I did it all. But for fun? Hmmm, somethings wrong with these people. Well, now there is something wrong with me. I caught the bug up here and I have very little doubt that it was a double whammy of beautiful trails and some of the greatest people in the world.



I started the way I usually start things... full throttle and zero practice. My first trail race was a half marathon at 8200 feet with PLENTY of ups and downs! Next, I saw a post that a team was looking for a Ragnar relay partner...I'm in. But my next task, the real inspiration for this digital account of happenings, will probably need some practice if I hope to cross a few chalk lines. I have caught the bug of the Ultra.

Goal #1 - 50K     ... here we go...  

+TheCanyon.com

*I am hoping to complete the Mesquite Canyon 50K on the next Spring Equinox



No comments:

Post a Comment